WASHINGTON, March 10, 2010 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has been named to the 2010 DiversityInc Top 50 Companies for Diversity list for its demonstrated use of measurable diversity best practices and results. It is Northrop Grumman's first appearance on the list, and the company is the first defense contractor to earn this recognition.
In its 10 th year, the magazine's ranking is the result of a comprehensive assessment of corporate diversity activities and represents one of the highest honors in the field. The announcement was made Tuesday night in a ceremony in Washington, D.C.
"At Northrop Grumman, we strive to build a culture of performance that embraces diversity and inclusion," said Wes Bush, chief executive officer and president. "We know that creating a diverse and inclusive work environment gives us a powerful competitive advantage. A culture built on a great diversity of ideas, perspectives and backgrounds enables us to better serve our customers, shareholders, and employees."
Companies must demonstrate strength in four key areas: CEO commitment, human capital, corporate and organizational communications and supplier diversity.
"Northrop Grumman's commitment and appreciation for a diverse and inclusive workforce brings out the best in our people and our performance," said Sandra Evers-Manly, vice president of Corporate Responsibility. "I am proud of the importance our company leaders and employees place on the value of diversity and inclusion in everything we do. Diverse people, ideas, thoughts and decisions make us who we are, at the forefront of innovation and building partnerships for stronger communities."
The DiversityInc Top 50 list is determined through a detailed 200-question survey of companies with more than 1,000 U.S. employees. A total of 449 companies participated in this year's survey, up more than 12 percent from last year. Northrop Grumman was ranked 47 th on the list. To view the complete list, visit www.diversityinc.com/Top50
"It's very heartening to see a major defense contractor on the list. Northrop Grumman recognizes that as the military increases its commitment to diversity management, those who do business with the military must do the same," said Luke Visconti, chief executive officer of DiversityInc.
"The DiversityInc Top 50 is no beauty contest. It is a way to honor the visionary companies that understand being fair is a powerful business tool as well as the ethical and right thing to do," Visconti said.
Northrop Grumman has established a number of initiatives to help further diversity and inclusion throughout the company. These programs include:
- Employee Resource Groups, volunteer groups of employees who come together to provide members with opportunities for networking, community outreach, professional development and recruiting;
- Heritage Events, celebrations by Employee Resource Groups or Northrop Grumman business units of nationally recognized heritage months;
- Diversity Presentations, platforms for prominent speakers to meet with and create awareness for employees;
- Women's Conference, a two-day internal conference which includes speakers from Northrop Grumman's senior leadership team, panel discussions and nationally known speakers addressing topics such as leadership, development and work-life balance;
- MicroInequities training programs for managers on inclusive behaviors;
- Supplier Diversity, the efforts of the company's Socio-Economic Business Programs Office to connect prospective small disadvantaged businesses interested in working with the company's procurement organizations;
- Corporate Citizenship, programs focused on improving education, providing support for our troops and veterans, health and human services, and the environment; and
- Operation Impact, a Northrop Grumman program which provides transition support and employment to service members severely injured in the global war on terrorism.
Details on Northrop Grumman's diversity and inclusion efforts can be found at: www.northropgrumman.com/corporate-responsibility/diversity
Northrop Grumman Corporation is a leading global security company whose 120,000 employees provide innovative systems, products, and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems, shipbuilding and technical services to government and commercial customers worldwide.
CONTACT: Gus Gulmert Northrop Grumman Corporation (703) 875-8450 firstname.lastname@example.org