FALLS CHURCH, Va. – April 22, 2022 – Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) announces a set of six new company environmental sustainability goals. Expanding on sustainability initiatives the company put in place in 2010, these next-generation goals will help guide the company’s environmental sustainability initiatives going forward.
“Our next-generation goals support our vision for a more sustainable future while underpinning our business strategy,” said Mike Witt, chief sustainability officer, Northrop Grumman. “We will continue to be transparent in our progress as we incorporate these important initiatives into our business practices to help us proactively support a sustainable future.”
The company’s next generation environmental sustainability goals include:
- Net zero greenhouse gas emissions in operations by 2035.
- Source 50 percent of total electricity from renewable sources by 2030.
- Strengthen leadership in operational footprint reduction through setting and achieving pioneering targets in environmental stewardship by 2025, including potable water use and solid waste to landfill.
- In collaboration with key customers, work to develop a pioneering product stewardship program focused on material efficiency, product design and life cycle assessment.
- Update the company’s "Standards of Business Conduct for Suppliers and Other Trading Partners" to incorporate industry-leading sustainability practices by 2023.
- Expand Technology for Conservation (T4C) initiatives in proximity to Northrop Grumman's U.S. locations by 2030, in collaboration with external partners.
Northrop Grumman has long had a focus on sustainable operations and has taken proactive steps over the past decade to reduce its environmental footprint. These measures have driven a reduction in greenhouse gas emission by over 40 percent since 2010 and has reduced water usage and waste streams. The next-generation environmental sustainability goals focus on Northrop Grumman’s facilities in addition to supply chain partners and customers.
“While we have always been mindful of our global impact, our environmental stewardship is evolving to match weather variability and scarcity of resource limitations,” said Witt. “Our new goals reflect that evolution and the deep commitment that our employees share for bettering their communities and the planet.”
For information on Northrop Grumman’s environmental, social and governance initiatives, please review the company’s 2021 Sustainability Report.
Northrop Grumman is a technology company, focused on global security and human discovery. Our pioneering solutions equip our customers with capabilities they need to connect, advance and protect the U.S. and its allies. Driven by a shared purpose to solve our customers’ toughest problems, our 90,000 employees define possible every day.